History of Madhya Pradesh Postal Circle is associated with the history of Madhya Pradesh State. Many areas of modern Madhya Pradesh state used to come in the then Central Province (CP) of India in the 19th century. The princely states of Bhopal, Gwalior and Indore used to be part of Rajputana in those days. In 1861, the territory of Vidarbha was added to the Central Province (CP) and came to be known as "Central Province and Brar". After the Independence, when the linguistic provinces were reconstituted, state of Madhya Pradesh was formed in 1956 by incorporating political units known as Central India, Bhopal, Vindhyapradesh and Madhya Pradesh in the then independent India, with its capital as Bhopal. The territory of Nagpur and Vidarbha was given to Maharashtra.
If we look at the history of postage in India, initially there were only three postal circles in the territory of India owned by East India Company - Bengal Presidency, Bombay Presidency and Madras Presidency. North West Province Circle was formed in 1839 and then Punjab Circle in December 1860, Burma Circle in 1861, Central Province Circle in 1866, Sindh Circle in 1869, Awadh Circle in 1870, Rajputana Circle in 1871, Assam Circle in 1873, Bihar Circle in 1877, Eastern Bengal Circle in 1878 and Central India Circle came into existence in 1879. The headquarters of Central Province (and Brar) used to be Nagpur, while the headquarters of Central India used to be Indore. By 1873, the postal distribution centers of Hoshangabad, Nagpur, Sagar, Jabalpur, Khandwa, Raipur, Wardha, and Akola were included in Central India. In 1879, postal distribution centers were also opened in Balaghat, Chanda, Narsinghpur, Basit, Chhindwara, Seoni Chhpara, Betul, Damoh, Yavatmal, Bilaspur and Mandla. Central India, which was formed after bifurcation from the North West Province in 1879, included post offices of Gwalior, Naugaon, Indore and Sehore. In terms of Postal Administration, Central India and Bhopal State used to come under Rajasthan Postal Circle, whose headquarters was Jaipur. After the formation of the new Madhya Pradesh state on 1st of November, 1956, the office of the Madhya Pradesh Postal Circle remined at Nagpur. After searching for a suitable building for the Circle Headquarters in Bhopal, Moti Mahal, a building in the premises of Sadar Manzil of the then Nawab Bhopal, was found suitable for setting up of Circle Office. Moti Mahal, built in 1847 by Nawab Sikdar Jah Begum, was an exquisite building influenced by Indian Islamic and French architecture.
Shri LK Narayan Swamy took charge as the Postmaster General of Madhya Pradesh Circle on 16 July 1965 at Moti Mahal, Bhopal. In 1980, Madhya Pradesh Postal Circle Office shifted to its own new 7-storey building "Dak Bhawan" which is located in Arera Hills, where the Circle Office is currently operating.